Friday, August 12, 2011

German Chocolate Caramel Bars



F.A.B. (Derek's Favorite Aunt Beth) made these for a graduation party YEARS ago. Definitely a family favorite. I've been meaning to post this recipe since this blog began, but I always make them for a potluck, etc. and always forget to take a picture. Today, I remembered! Enjoy.

1 (14 oz) package of caramels
2/3 c evaporated milk (divided)
1 box of German Chocolate cake mix
3/4 c butter, melted
1 c chopped nuts (optional...I always omit)
1 c chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate)

Melt caramels with 1/3 c evaporated milk. Keep warm. Combine dry cake mix, melted butter and remaining 1/3 c evaporated milk and nuts, stirring by hand. Press half of the mixture into a 9 X 13 prepared pan. Bake 350 degrees for about 6 minutes. Pour melted caramel over baked layer. Sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel layer.

Cover top with teaspoons of remaining cake mixture. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing I don't love about the idea of german chocolate and caramel together in bar form. :)

    ReplyDelete