Monday, February 13, 2012

Apple Cake w/Cinnamon Butter Sauce



I'm back! Sorry for my lack of posts, but I started The 17 Day Diet and was limited in what I was "allowed" to eat for the first two cycles. Also, my husband spent 2 weeks in Africa, therefore me and the girls were living on Mac & Cheese, chicken nuggets, cereal, and oatmeal. But now I'm back with many new recipes to post!

While my husband was away, a dear friend was thinking of us and sent a sweet care package to entertain the girls and I. Included were some cookbooks. This cake is definitely post worthy. YUM!

This recipe was from Pillsbury Down-home Cooking & Baking.

CAKE
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c butter, softened
1 egg
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I omitted)
1/4 tsp salt
2 c chopped apples (I left the peeling on)

Beat brown sugar with butter until light and fluffy. Add egg. Add try ingredients. Stir in apples. Spread batter in greased 8 inch square pan. (Batter will be thick). Bake 25 to 35 minutes in 350 degree oven. (We needed 35 minutes).

Meanwhile, make CINNAMON BUTTER SAUCE...
1/3 c butter
2/3 c sugar (I used brown)
1/3 c half & half (I used milk)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine all sauce ingredients in small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter melts and sauce is hot, stirring frequently. Serve warm sauce over warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment