Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Igloo Cake with Milano Penguins



My oldest daughter celebrated her 8th birthday this past weekend. She loves penguins and picked out this cake. The "recipe" was found in this month's issue of "Family Fun" but was simply an "ice cream cake". Peyton wanted "real cake"; so I did my best to make it work. We baked a 9 X 13 for the base. Then, the igloo was one Pampered Chef 4 cup batter bowl and one cupcake for the entrance.



We baked the 9 X 13 first. While that was cooling, I baked the batter bowl cake and cupcake 25 degrees cooler, so that the batter bowl cake would cook through evenly. I think it took almost an hour. Then I let those cool. After all three were cool, I placed the igloo and cupcake on the 9 X 13, using a toothpick to secure the entrance to the rest of the igloo. I covered with frosting and used a toothpick to draw the lines on the igloo to look like blocks of ice.

I sprinkled with clear cake sprinkles to add the look of shimmering snow. The pond is blue gel topped with blue sprinkles.

The Penguins are Milano cookies with 3 sides dipped in melted chocolate. I laid them on wax paper to set. Then, I piped on frosting features (eyes % beak). We placed them on the cake, using toothpicks to prop them up.

Overall, I am happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment