Thursday, November 15, 2012

Jeans Bars (guaranteed to make your jeans tight)



My mom made these as a kid.  I loved them.  I'd forgotten all about them.  Probably haven't had one in 10 years or more.  The other night, I had a dream about these and woke up craving them.  I called my mom, but my mom has hundreds of cookbooks and wasn't sure which one they were in since she probably hasn't made them in 10 years or more.  Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?  I googled them and BAM, they were all over!  It came from the 1983 Pillsbury Classic, No. 30, "Best Recipes."

CRUST
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter 
1/4 cup sugar

FILLING
1 cup graham-cracker crumbs
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I omitted)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk 

FROSTING
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl, cut butter into flour and sugar until crumbly. Press in bottom of ungreased 13-inch-by-9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients; mix well. Spread over partially baked crust. Return to oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes more until golden brown. Cool completely.

In a small bowl, blend frosting ingredients until creamy; spread over bars. Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment