Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fresh Apple Cake




Fall is in the air. LOVE this apple cake recipe from Midwest Living April 2009. Why in the world was it in an April issue is beyond me, but regardless, I LOVE THIS CAKE! So fall, so yummy, so not so bad for you...

3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 1/4 c canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled & chopped (or 3 cups) (I used a different "tart" apple)
1 c chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (I used walnuts and DID NOT toast...so rebellious, I know)
Sweetened whipped cream (optional-I used Cool Whip)
apple slices for garnish (optional)

Combine flour, sugar, soda, salt & cinnamon. Make a well in the center.

Combine eggs, oil and vanilla; stir in apples and nuts. Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring until just moistened (batter will be REALLY thick). Spread into greased 13 X 9 X 2 pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool for at least an hour. Serve slightly warm or at room temp. We topped with cool whip and drizzled with a bit of caramel sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I'll hve to try it. We picked 120 lbs. of apples last weekend. I made a TON of applesauce, but have some apples left over. I will have to try the cake.

    ReplyDelete