Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Filled Cupcakes



Every now and then, I'll post a "not so simple" recipe IF I feel it is worth the time & effort. This is one such recipe. My mom has been making these for as long as I can remember. Not sure where the recipe originated. (Caution: This recipe makes 36 cupcakes...so be ready to have THAT MANY cupcakes to devour!)

Cake:
3 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c water
1 c oil (I used canola)
2 T vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1 egg
1/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Topping:
1/2 tsp sugar (per each)
1 tsp chopped walnuts (per each)

For cupcakes, sift dry ingredients. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. (Batter will be runny) Fill cupcake papers about 1/2 full.

For filling, beat cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop round teaspoonful of filling on each cupcake.

For topping, top EACH cupcake with 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp chopped walnuts. (I always do half without nuts to please my husband and kiddos)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

*NOTE: You can make this as a 9 X 13 cake too. Adjust cooking time accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment