Monday, April 19, 2010

Monkey Bread


My mother in law makes this for all Holidays. The first time I had it, I was hooked. I've heard of people making it with refrigerator biscuits, but my mother in law uses frozen bread dough.

1 loaf frozen bread dough (like Rhodes), thawed (I usually put loaf in fridge the night before)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c butter or margarine, melted
(I've heard of people adding coconut and/or chopped nuts)

cut dough into approximately 24 pieces (smaller = better)
combine sugars & cinnamon
coat dough pieces with butter and roll in sugar mixture
place in well-greased bundt pan
cover and let rise in warm place until light or doubled in size (1.5 to 2 hours)

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes
Cool 1 to 2 minutes, loosen edges and carefully invert onto serving plate

(*Note: Bread may be baked in 2 bread loaf pans or tube pan with solid bottom Also, plan ahead for this one b/c of rising time)

1 comment:

  1. I think I can make this and eat it all by myself and not share it with anyone. Sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete