Thursday, April 15, 2010

Poppy Seed Chicken


My friend Emily gave me this recipe. Someone brought it to her after one of her children was born. I thought it sounded odd, but I LOVE it. I just found out that my cholesterol is sky high (stupid genetics!) So tonight, I'm trying a low cholesterol version of it, although you wouldn't have to.

2 lbs chicken breasts cooked & cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup (today, I am using Campbell's Healthy Request)
8 oz sour cream (today, I am using fat free)
1 roll crushed Ritz crackers (today, I'm using whole wheat)
1/2 c butter or margarine melted (I'm using margarine)
1 T poppy seeds

Mix all ingredients together EXCEPT for the crackers and butter
put chicken mixture in 9 X 13 pan, sprayed with cooking spray
combine the butter with the crushed crackers & cover the casserole with cracker/butter mixture

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min in a 9 X 13 pan

Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes (we serve over noodles, today "No Yolk" cholesterol free egg noodles)

(*NOTE: The Low Cholesterol version that I tried tonight was still good, but butter was much better and low fat sour cream may be a little better than fat free sour cream.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this stuff and was just thinking that I didn't know where my recipe was for it. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this and it was really good. I put cooked rice in the pan under the chicken, so that it was all warmed up together. Thanks for the recipe. The kids ate it because of the cracker topping.

    ReplyDelete