Friday, May 14, 2010

Meatloaf


I love my mother dearly. I think she is a good cook, and an even better baker. But, growing up, I never really loved her meatloaf. It was kind of dry, not much flavor... One day, I was looking through our church cookbook and found a recipe that sounded like Martha Stewart's mother's recipe, which I thought looked fabulous on one of her shows. I gave it a try and have a new love of meatloaf. The ketchup glaze over the top caramelizes and gets ooey gooey. It is really good and really simple. Hope you enjoy.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 large carrots & 1 onion (I throw them in my mini food processor)
3 eggs
2/3 c milk
3 slices bread, crumbled (I also put the bread in my mini food processor)
salt & pepper to taste

Mix ingredients together, mixing well. Form meat loaf and put into a 9 X 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. The last 15 minutes of baking, add the sauce.

Sauce:
2 c brown sugar
1 c ketchup
1/2 tsp mustard

In small pan, blend brown sugar, ketchup and mustard. Heat over low temperature until smooth and creamy. Pour over nearly done meat loaf and bake 15 minutes.

*note: I always make 1/2 the sauce and it is plenty

1 comment:

  1. Oooo, a caramelized ketchup glaze? Definitely sounds yummy. I may just throw that on my meatloaf recipe next time. :)

    ReplyDelete