Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pineapple or Banana Fritters

What is your favorite item on the all-you-can-eat Chinese Buffet? Easily, mine is the donuts. I found this recipe way back in college when I was searching for things to make with my new wok. I forgot all about it until I noticed how much pineapple was sitting in my fridge. In fact, college might be the last time I made them. Surprisingly, I found it without too much searching. I promised the girls homemade donuts for breakfast. (It was a special treat for them without a lot of work or time involved)


1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 c milk
1 Tbls cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
additional oil for frying
3 bananas cut into 1 inch pieces OR chunks of pineapple
Hot fudge sauce, maple syrup, honey, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, or other dipping sauce of your choice.

In bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine egg, milk, 1 tbls oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients until smooth. Heat 2 inches of oil to medium-high heat (375 degrees). Dip bananas or pineapple into batter and fry a few at a time in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Roll in sugar, dust with powdered sugar, or dip in hot fudge, honey, maple syrup, etc.

If you choose to not use the bananas or pineapple, then they will taste just like the Chinese buffet donuts. I'm pretty sure they'd taste awesome "jelly filled" as well, but haven't tried.

Note: The only thing about these is that they taste best fresh and warm. Not a "make ahead" type recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment